Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a trip booked to go with my Church group to Canada…

Customer Question
I have a trip booked...
I have a trip booked to go with my Church group to Canada and Alaska departing May 10. When I applied online for my eTA, and ESTA - I truthfully answered the question regarding prior convictions. The result is that Canada needs more information, and the USA has just flatly refused to authorize travel. My conviction was a minor marijuana possession charge back in 1981/82. Since then (over 30 years), I have done nothing wrong, and when I applied for a Police Check in 2002, in order to obtain a Taxi Driving Licence - the conviction wasn't even recorded on there. I also hold a current Blue Card. I live in Queensland. I understand that I can now apply for a Visa to travel to Alaska (and possibly Washington State - but I only have a little over 2 months to do this. My questions are - do I even stand a chance of obtaining a Visa? And, do I have enough time? Is there any way to accelerate this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
3/7/2016
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello
For such an offence, for such a very long time ago, it would be nonsensical for the authorities to not allow you travel.
Secondly, if it is not recorded on your criminal record, there are no grounds to disallow your VISA.

It would be classed as a spent conviction in any event.

The only issue here, is time. There is no real way to expedite your application, however 2 months is not terribly short, however it needs to be done swiftly.

I trust once explained, the authorities in Canada will allow you to attend.

Please rate my service. I am able to answer further questions also without further billing after rating.

Hello, I note I have heard a response from you.
I want to assist you with your question.

Is there any further assistance I can be of?
​Please click accept and rate my service. I am able to answer further questions after accepting also

I wait to hear from you