Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I had a verbal contract with someone regarding money and…

Customer Question
I had a verbal contract...
I had a verbal contract with someone regarding money and since they have stopped repaying me. I have a spreadsheet containing how much needs to be paid, the reason for the money and the date given. It also contains a list of money already repaid and the date that money was received by myself.
What options do I have regarding getting the payment back?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
2/29/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Leon, Solicitor

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.

The police will only deal with criminal matters not civil matters.

Send the person a letter of demand and say if they do not pay you in 14 days you will sue them.

If they do not pay then you have to sue in the local court. Your record of payments is good and can be used in evidence.

The following link is detailed on the procedure to collect money throught the court.

https://www.artslaw.com.au/info-sheets/info-sheet/debt-recovery-small-claims-procedure-nsw/

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards