How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44203
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Victoria. I commute regularly to Sydney, where I

Customer Question

Hi, I live in Victoria. I commute regularly to Sydney, where I spend part of my work week. My wife works in Sydney and had also been commuting there over the last year. My wife recently left me and our children to start a relationship with her boss and to move in with him in Sydney. Her boss also left his family with a short statement and no forewarning. My wife and her boss now live together in Sydney.
The wife of the boss (who I did not know), was shocked by the turn of events, and contacted me to find out if I knew any more than she did. Following this, the boss wrote a a letter to his wife telling her not to contact me because "I had abused and manipulated" my wife for 15 years. This is not true, as can be supported by our children, our friends and family who have known us intimately for all that time.
A further complicating factor is that my wife and her boss, plus the boss' wife, all work in the same industry as me. I have been doing some pro bono work for the organization that employs my wife and her boss. I am also concerned that the boss has repeated the claims of abuse and manipulation to other people in the organization or industry when explaining why he has a relationship with my wife. These claims pose a serious risk to my reputation and could impact on my employability and funding for projects.
My questions are. 1) Is this defamation? and 2) What can or should I do about it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.

If you can get a copy of the letter you can use it to sue the boss fro defamation.

It is false and impacts on your reputation to the ex wife and possible to others if he is telling them as well.

You should contact a solicitor that practices in defamation law to send him a letter to retract the lies and if he does not that you will sue for defamation.

The law institute of Victoria can give you a referral

This is how you deal with it

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.