How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5422
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I' ve been physically assaulted 3 years ago. I ended up on

Customer Question

I' ve been physically assaulted 3 years ago. I ended up on hospital, with my skull cracked and I went through few surgeries. At the time my sister convinced me not to charge her soon (which assaulted me). But now I ve changed my mind. I would like to know, do I still have a case even after 3 years?
Thanks you very much
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

You can certainly refer the matter to the police even after three years. There is no time limit issue for pressing criminal charges for an offence like this.

However, the issue you will likely encounter is that it may be harder for the police to obtain all the evidence they need after this much time and they may not be interested in pursuing a prosecution after so much time. Ultimately the decision to charge your nephew is for the police, you can only make the allegations and provide whatever evidence you can in support, but they will make the final decision.

I trust the above assists.



Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.


I note it has been some time since I povided my answer to you, but you haven't rated my answer yet and am wondering if there is anything further I can do for you to ensure a positive rating.