Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

In December last year my son applied visa based on the "last

Customer Question
In December last year my...
In December last year my son applied for a visa based on the "last remaining relative", he was in Australia on a holiday visa. My wife daughter and myself are Australian citizens.
Subsequent to his application he was granted the right to remain in Australia pending the outcome of hie visa application. I sponsored his application which amounted to just under $4000. We have subsequently learned that this visa application could take up to 50 years to come through. I would like to know how it is expected that a person applying for this visa is expected to survive without working, I certainly won't be alive in 50 years time.
Surely the department should indicate that this visa application could take a long time and not be so quick to take your money. I went to see the immigration department and they let me know, in no uncertain manor, that if my son was to apply for a working visa based on his qualifications, which he has, and is on the skills select list, I would loose my $4000.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Law
2/17/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Leon, Solicitor

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

I am not sure that the 50 years us correct they process them much quicker that that. Have you or your son contacted the department and asked?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Apparently there is a 5 year "backlog" and according to the departments website it can take up to 50 years.

I have not heard this before.

If he was to apply for work he would be in breach of his bridging visa where it will not permit him to work

In his right to remain what are the conditions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The visa conditions state that it is, "8115 - business visa activity".

Have you spoken to the department about changing the conditions?

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor