How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was on Disabled Pension, in March last year went to UK on

Customer Question

I was on Disabled Pension, in March last year went to UK on extended holiday to see family, rang Centrelink from UK about Pension, and they said don't worry, it will be reinstated when you return. I returned in mid September and have been trying to get it reinstated ever since. They are now saying that because I didn't go on some programme before applying (they ignore that it's reapplying) and the rules have changed, that I will not get it. This ignores a letter from my Renal Doctor, which says I have irreversile kidney failure, also a letter from my GP which says my disabilities are exactly the same as they were last March. They dismissed advice from my GP about bad knees, if they looked at their old paperwork or files they would have seen a report back in 2010 from a specialist knee doctor, saying that eventually the knee cap would have to be replaced. I know have an appointment with the Centrelink tribunal, and would like to know where I can go to get someone to read the letter from Centrelink and tell me what my best options are, please
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor in New South Wales who will help you with your inquiry today. Jan can you scan the letter from Centrelink and attach it here so that I can read it? Then I will be able to advise you further. Jan if you need to speak to Centrelink it is always best to go into the office as sometimes I have been on the phone for nearly 2 hours waiting for someone to answer. I have also heard of someone waiting for 4 hours before. If you attach the letter it will be fine and I will help you. When is your appointment with the Centrelink tribunal. By this, do you mean the Social Security Appeals Tribunal? Have you got a copy of your application I can look at too?