Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My father recently passed away. My mum and he divorced 10…

Customer Question
Hi there, my father recently...
Hi there, my father recently passed away. My mum and he divorced 10 years ago. My father remarried to a woman 10 years younger than him (he was 65, is 57). I do know that my dad changed him will so that everything Goa to her, but she had indicated that if there is enough money in dads super (his only real inheritance), but now, in a conversation with my brother, she's now telling up that she can't touch Dads super until she I 67. Which I didn't think was correct. I though that if you die, all your super funds and any life insurances (none here) went straight to the main beneficiary, or if not name, to the estate. Otherwise your getting situation where a 4 year might loose a parent and not be able to touch their parents super until they are ALSO 67' which is ludicrous. Can you please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
2/8/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Leon, Solicitor

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

That is not correct.

She is lying.

The super can and will be released because he has passed away.

You and your brother have a right to contest any will and are also going to have to sign for the super to be released.

You need to get your own solicitor to act for you because you have rights to a share of the estate as he was your father and she is not your mother.

She is not telling you the truth.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor