Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I have worked at the same school in Queensland years as a

Customer Question

I have worked at the same school in Queensland for 38 years as a teacher aide. I taught art for 20 years to all the children and was awarded the Australia Day Medal from Education Queensland for my contribution to the arts. During the 20 years I accumulated many resources which were all kept in the art room in the desk I had in there and the filing cabinet. My personal belongings, my personal resources that i bought , all my certificates from childhood school, college and more resent certificates. A new teacher who came at the school last year has been relocated this year into the room adjoining the art room. After 20 years of collecting resources the cabinet was full. The new teacher emptied my desk but my personal belongings in the drawer she put into a box for me. Today I went to my filing cabinet to collect something and found all three drawers empty. My first assumption is they needed it didnt have the decency to ring me and let me know and they have put it into boxes. No they dumped it all. I need advice please
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello
Defined 'dumped it all'
Have the items been sent to the rubbish?
Or collected into boxes for collection?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sent to the rubbish and the rubbish has been collected
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Wow, just wow.
Did they give you any notice?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No none at all
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Have you since been terminated from your position?
If so, when?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't been terminated I walked out saying sorry cant work here today after this.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

The difficulty is, the items maybe of nominal financial value, but simply the value to you is of course unmeasurable.
From a legal standpoint, there is generally little that can be done, as compensation would only be financial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

I would not let it go unnoticed however.
They can be liable for constructive unfair dismissal as a result of the way they treated you.
I suggest having a meeting with them or have an unfair dismissal claim.
http://workplaceinfo.com.au/resources/employment-topics-a-z/constructive-dismissal

Please rate my service and click accept.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Is there any further assistance I can be of?
Please click ACCEPT and rate my service.
​I am able to answer further questions after accepting.