Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have worked at the same school in Queensland years as a…

Customer Question
I have worked at the...
I have worked at the same school in Queensland for 38 years as a teacher aide. I taught art for 20 years to all the children and was awarded the Australia Day Medal from Education Queensland for my contribution to the arts. During the 20 years I accumulated many resources which were all kept in the art room in the desk I had in there and the filing cabinet. My personal belongings, my personal resources that i bought , all my certificates from childhood school, college and more resent certificates. A new teacher who came at the school last year has been relocated this year into the room adjoining the art room. After 20 years of collecting resources the cabinet was full. The new teacher emptied my desk but my personal belongings in the drawer she put into a box for me. Today I went to my filing cabinet to collect something and found all three drawers empty. My first assumption is they needed it didnt have the decency to ring me and let me know and they have put it into boxes. No they dumped it all. I need advice please
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
2/3/2016
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello
Defined 'dumped it all'
Have the items been sent to the rubbish?
Or collected into boxes for collection?

sent to the rubbish and the rubbish has been collected

Wow, just wow.
Did they give you any notice?

No none at all

Have you since been terminated from your position?
If so, when?

No I haven't been terminated I walked out saying sorry cant work here today after this.

The difficulty is, the items maybe of nominal financial value, but simply the value to you is of course unmeasurable.
From a legal standpoint, there is generally little that can be done, as compensation would only be financial.

Thanks

I would not let it go unnoticed however.
They can be liable for constructive unfair dismissal as a result of the way they treated you.
I suggest having a meeting with them or have an unfair dismissal claim.
http://workplaceinfo.com.au/resources/employment-topics-a-z/constructive-dismissal

Please rate my service and click accept.

Is there any further assistance I can be of?
Please click ACCEPT and rate my service.
​I am able to answer further questions after accepting.