Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My name is ***** *****. And my husband and I are having an…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. And my husband and I are having an issue with his fathers claim to our house. It is very complicated in the fact that over 20 years ago, my father in law had some money troubles and he asked us to buy his family home so he wouldn't have to sell it and the land attached to it..20 years on, he had not transferred ownership to us, even though we had gone on to make improvements to the property and my husband has been working the entire property for 30 years without pay and in September 2015 his and his wifes principle residence has burnt down and they were living with us...so we suggested that we get another loan to help them out by building another house for them, with the proviso they finally sign the house over, this was agreed upon and is currently with his solicitors and tax account, but my father in law has been acting out for the last 6 weeks...the other day he lost it and told us to get of his house, we said no this is our house we had paid for it and he said that so what the papers were still in his name and it was his...We were understandably devastated and so we said that if he wanted to take that path we would see him in court. That night he went to stay with his daughter. We don't want to have to take him to court, but we also don't want to lose our house and are not sure what to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

His daughter and us have noticed that he has been confusing real conversations and situations with imaginary ones and creating tension and friction within the family...We think he is clinically depressed and his daughter is going to try and get him to see a counsellor....Both his daughter and his son (my husband) don't believe he is capable of making any financial or legal decisions at the moment...

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
2/1/2016
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello
I am Solicitor here in Australia.
So to confirm, no property is in your name?
Has there been any agreement in writing?

Is there any further assistance I can be of?
Please click ACCEPT and rate my service.
​I am able to answer further questions after accepting.