Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Rsl Care in Queensland run an independant living facility on…

Customer Question
rsl Care in Queensland run...
rsl Care in Queensland run an independant living facility on Bribie Island in Queensland. When my mother moved in to the facility she was told no animals were alowed. Recently a couple moved in next to her with a companion dog. This dog is not an assist dog under the definition of the Act or the 2013 Amendment that includes residential accommodation. This couple have been allow d to bring their pet as their doctor wrote them a letter saying they should have their dog with them.
RSL Care did not consult with any residents before making the decision to allow the dog to accompany its owners. Does my mother have a legal case and should we seek legal representation in an effort t have the dog removed. It has totally changed her ability to enjoy her place for of living and interactive ions with managment smack of bullying and ageism wh Ch i think is totally unacceptable. The hanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/29/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Leon, Solicitor

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

The dog assists them in the well being they can fall under the act.

They do not have to consult with the other residents it is an administrative decision.

She is going to have a difficult case to have the dog removed because there is a medical report that supports the dog and it will be hard. If the person needs the dog for emotional support then you cannot do anything.

http://www.awaredogs.org.au/our_services/

It is going to be very difficult to overturn the decision and she has to look at the homes rules and regulations to see that they have complied.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards