Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My friend had a girlfriend about three years ago, and about…

Customer Question
Hi there My friend had a...
Hi there
My friend had a girlfriend about three years ago, and about a year ago they split up, and when they did so, they split their Telstra bills into two separate bills. They didn't realise that Telstra had only created a new billing account under the girlfriends name, and unlinked his mobile and other services from their original joint account. Technically speaking, this meant that the boyfriends mobile services were under his ex girlfriends name, but the bils for those particular services were being forwarded to him. He has now got an outstanding balance on HIS billing account (under her name) that is in excess of $5000. His ex girlfriend is demanding that he pay the bill - my question is, legally, if she ever decided to take action, what does the law say about this and who is ultimately responsible for paying? If we assume he just runs away and leaves the bill.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
1/29/2016
Solicitor: kmslaw, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
kmslaw
kmslaw, Solicitor

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor in NSW who will help with your inquiry today. Technically the boyfriend will have to pay the $5000 bill if he is responsible for using the $5000 worth of services. She needs only to reference the call she and/or he made to split the bills to demonstrate that Telstra made the error and Telstra will then levy the $5000 under the right name. However, if the girlfriend has been using his mobile phone and other services and causing the $5000 bill to accrue, she will have to pay it.

Does that help you with your inquiry today?