Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am a small business owner of CDN Pharmaceuticals. I have…

Customer Question
My name is***** I am a...
My name is*****
I am a small business owner of CDN Pharmaceuticals.
I have owned this name and traded for nearly 9 years with little success until only last year when Lucas Papaw became popular with the Chinese community. I now have many customers ordering by email and by Mobile phone.
Last Tuesday week at approx 9am, I tried to use my phone that I had prepaid with Aldimobile and it had no service. On phoning them and emailing them they have given my phone number(###) ###-####to someone else without my authority?
At the same time, my email address that I receive many orders has been disconnected due to a change in password. This makes my business at a standstill.
I have tried to retrieve both email address and telephone number without success.
I am Also the secretary of the Queensland and Australian Chemists Golf Club with over 750 members. All use my email address and telephone number as a contact.
My stationary and business addresses all contain both contact details.
My email address was***@******.*** my email password ***** being changed by someone else.
Both have been reported to the Hendra police, Senior constable Leah Purcell(###) ###-####
I have today received a new sim card from MEDIONmobile, PO Box 47, St Leonards NSW 1590.
This means they have given me a new number that I don't want as I want my own number back.
Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
1/27/2016
Solicitor: Patrick H., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer

I suggest you refer the matter to the telecommunications ombudsman.

https://www.tio.com.au/about-us

Whether or not they can order that your old number be referred will depend on whether it has been allocated to another party, but as an alternate they may be ordered to pay compensation for any damage to your business arising out of their loss of your number.

Naturally, your entitlement to compensation or to have your old number reinstated will depend on the circumstances in which the number was taken away from you (so you likely have no right of redress if you had ceased paying your bills for any significant period), but the ombudsman can assess that in a very cost effective way and without you needing to pay for legal representation.

I trust the above assists.

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.

Patrick