Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can the Bendigo Bank refuse to act on my request

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/25/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Leon, Solicitor

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

I cannot see why they would. What do you want to complain about?

I want the bank to write a letter saying that I am happy with my investment and happy that I have transferred the funds overseas
However they will not agree to write this letter

Good Afternoon

I cannot see why they should. If you are happy you can send the letter.

The bank is not here for that. I cannot see they have a responsibility for that.

The Polish bank have requested that the letter come from the bank that I transferred the funds from, just to confirm that the funds have been sent as per my agreement

You should have a reciept form the bank and that should have all the details.

This should be enough.

Are they saying they dont have the money?

I am about to log out will be back later

I have a receipt from the bendigo bank but the polish bank are saying that they are trying to take the money back

This does not sound right.

Have you asked Bendigo bank about taking the money back?

Are you sure this is not a scam?

They insist that that have stopped this process. However the Polish bank have been left with this attempted fraud scam against them and that is why they want a letter confirming that I am completely happy with my transaction.
This has caused problems with the investment company and put them in a bad situation, and the bank have put pressure on them to return my funds. I don't want to do this as my account has now progressed in positive trades and I have made a substanial gain and also I now have trades that are not due till March.
If they send the funds back I will lose all the gains I have made so far.
Leon we are very insular here in Australia and are very suspicious of anything worldly. They are not scammers like the girl at the bank thinks. I have been trading since November. There are other traders in OZ trading with them and they have clients all around the world. I have a trading buddy in WA a lady that has been with them for nearly a year, trading in pension mode and lively well with the returns compared to silly bank interest or dividends.
How can I force the bank to write a letter for me?
Regards
Dianne

I understand why the bank wont give the letter. If it is a scam and you lose the money you can hold the bank liable.

They should be happy with a letter from you.

The bank is attempting to distance itself and not be held liable.

What guarantees do you have from the polish bank that it is not a scam?

The bank is not going to take the risk and I suspect it is a policy.

The receipt that you have sent the money should be enough for the polish bank to confirm that the money has been sent.

A letter from you should also be more than enough.

I believe the bank is not sending any letters to reduce its exposure to claims if it is a scam and you lose your money.

I have send money all over the world and never had anyone seek confirmation in a letter from the bank that is was sent. the documentation off the TT produced by the bank and signed by me has always been enough to prove the transfer.

It is a detailed note showing the exchange rate the accounts it came from and sent to and the names of the parties and you as the customer sign to confirm you authorise it.

If the polish bank refuses to accept this official document I would have concerns and seek my money back.

What the polish bank wants is not standard practice.

I can see why Bendigo bank is not sending the letter, it exposes them to liability from you.