Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I have reported a family member years of government fraud.

Customer Question

I have reported a family member for 35 years of government fraud. This is the third time she has been reported in that time. The first time she repaid because it was a minor amount, the second time she says she almost went to jail, but this third time I have provided them with extensive information i.e. Previous addresses, vehicles parked at her house not registered to her, where her de facto was getting his mail sent and identifying tattoos. The male in question was sending his car rego and tax returns to her mothers house (which I also provided a name and address for) is the mother in law also implicated and what kind of outcome will the three of them receive (roughly)? Also, can they find out through the freedom of information act 1988 who dobbed them in? I look forward to your response.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.
If the mother in law had knowledge of what they were doing then yes she can be implicated as an accessory.

The main person will go to jail the other 2 may not go to jail but will get a fine and have a record.

If they were sharing in the money the they may also go to jail it all depends on their role in the fraud.

If you are anonymous then they cannot find out. It you are to be a witness to prosecute them then they will know it is you as you will have to give a statement and you will be a witness for the department if they plead not guilty.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards