Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am separating from my husband we have 2 children. I have…

Customer Question
I am separating from my...
I am separating from my husband we have 2 children. I have just started my own business and I am not making a profit. How can I support my 2 children? How will child custody arrangements be resolved. I would like to stay in our home with our 2 children.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
1/17/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Leon, Solicitor

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.
The Child Support agency work out chold support on the Taxable income of the party that does not have the children.

It will be based on your husbands income.

The following will assist you estimating what you should be receiving.

https://processing.csa.gov.au/estimator/About.aspx

Custody is discussed between you and your husband The law is only interested in what is on the childrens best interests if you cannot reach an agreement then

You should contact your closest family relationship centre. This is a free service provided by the Federal Government. Their website is

http://www.familyrelationships.gov.au

You can find your closest one on there.

The web-site also have alot of useful information and links to assist you.

Before going to court you must obtain a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. You get this through the free service provided at the family relationship centres.

If you need to go to court then you will need to file an application in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court

http://www.familycourt.gov.au and http://www.federalcircuitcourt.gov.au

This is what the courts apply

http://www.familycourt.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/fcoaweb/family-law-matters/family-law-in-australia/parenting-cases-the-best-interests-of-the-child/

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.