How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5708
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in a short relationship where my ex-partner leant me

Customer Question

Hi my name is Brad,
I was in a short relationship where my ex-partner leant me money to pay off loans. At the time everything was going well and I thought well if she is offer then I don't see any harm in it. There was no mention of paying the money back and in fact she told me I didn't have to. Now that we have broken up she had said she wants the money back. I offered to pay it back at $50/week but she is saying she cant't accept that amount. I can't afford to pay more, as I expected we would live happily ever after. She as also made all kinds of threats including attempting to get me the sack from my work and even threatened to call child welfare on me even though it would all be false accusations.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

As it is a family law issue, then she cannot specifically sue you.
She may be aware of this and is just threatening you, trying to get money from you.
She would need to file an application to the family court, which is expensive.
Her threats for giving you the sack, and children issues are just bullying tactics neither have anything to do with the money she is claiming from you.

It is a matter for you what you wish to do, however I she cannot sue you for the amount. It would need to go to family court, where I suggest the money owed would pale in comparison to legal fees to chase it.

Please rate my service and click on the ACCEPT button. I am able to answer further questions after accepting.