Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I bought my home several years before i met my wife to

Customer Question

I bought my home several years before i met my wife to be.got married after 15 yrs together and seperated 6 mnths after.ive raised her son for those 16 yrs and paid for the most of the expenses through those good years.i have stayed in th proerty even though i said i would move out but she could not afford all the bills and repayments.she has notreturned f her belonging in 6 weeks.wat to do.i am aiming t resolve but very stuborn at th moment.idid pay for th majority of the household
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in adelaide and im also looking at doing some home improvements which will have a rather large cost to it.how does that work if seperated at moment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As it is at th moment all assets r in my name as i bought b4 meeting her and have some with her
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

It is a long marriage and if there is to be a property settlement the court would make a split of all assets belonging to both you and her in your individual names and joint names.

The law will apply the following steps in property settlements.

Step 1: Determine what the assets are and their value

This will include all assets and their value as at the day that you are dividing them. It does not matter whose name the assets are in, they will form part of the matrimonial pool. Superannuation entitlements are also included.

Step 2: Determine what contributions you and your Husband made towards the assets.

This includes a consideration of both financial and non-financial contributions. Consideration is given to what assets each of you brought into the marriage as well. The weight given to your initial contribution will be dependent upon the length of your relationship. The longer the relationship the less weight given to the initial contribution.

Step 3: What are each of your future needs.

Consideration is given to your respective ages, your comparitive income earning capacity as well as other factors.

IF these things don't balance equally for each spouse, then an adjustment is made in the percentages.

Step 4: Make an order that is just and equitable between both spouses

Anything that you do after separation you can claim should not be included and should be retained by you.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards