How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44194
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The reason I'm here today is to see if I am elegibale to

Customer Question

Hi, My name is Aimee.
The reason I'm here today is to see if I am elegibale to have my record expunged.
6 years ago (when I was 20) I stole 10,000 from a bank that I worked at. I pleaded guilty and was put on a 6 month good behaviour bond.
I have not committed any crimes since then and truly believe I have learned my lesson.
I want to get my record expunged because it is hard for me to get a job with that stupid mistake looming over my head.
I am a different person now. I want to have a career and be able to save for a house and provide for my future family.
I am aware that certain convictions become spent after a 10 year crime free period.
What kind of conviction falls under the 'certain convictions'?
Kind regards,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You have to wait 10 years in any jurisdiction before you are eligible for a spent conviction.

You have to have a 10 years crime free period.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

Here is what the NSW law says

In NSW a relatively minor offence can be spent if the offender does not re-offend within the required time frame (10 years). Exceptions are laid out in the Criminal Records Act 1991 section 7:

  • If the offender was sentenced to more than six months imprisonment (periodic or home detention do not count)
  • Convictions against companies and other corporate bodies
  • Sexual offences under the Criminal Records Act 1991; and
  • Other statutory exceptions laid out by the Regulations

But the removal of a need to disclose does not go away entirely: a spent conviction does not apply to some jobs including: a judge, magistrate, justice of the peace, police officer, member of staff of Corrective Services NSW, teacher or a teachers aid.

Here is an article from NSW courts about spent convictions in NSW where that comes from

As you did not get a jail term you should be eligble

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

I am just following up my last post. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

I am just following up my last post. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a great new year