James D. Ford
James D. Ford, Solicitor
Experience:  Consulting Principal at Nexus Law Group
75875724

Will having a court judgement with an Australian Creditor

Customer Question

Will having a court judgement for debt with an Australian Creditor inhibit my ability to travel in and out of Australia, if I now reside in the USA?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  James D. Ford replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

NO

A civil court judgement, in of itself, will not serve to restrict your ability to travel to or from Australia.

I assume the judgement is against you personally, and not your company.

If the judgement is for more than $5k, you could be served with Bankruptcy proceedings. If you are made Bankrupt, you would need the consent of the Trustee in Bankruptcy, with regard to travel plans.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks James, yes, judgement against me personally - what normally determines if bankruptcy proceedings and how would that effect me if I lived in the US permanently?

Hi John, international bankruptcy law is very complex... to say the least... so it would depend in the first instance on the quantum of the court judgement, and whether the creditor was motivated to consider chasing you and your assets in the USA.

I will send you an offer of additional service, so we can take the discussion offline. Cheers, James