How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5420
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been accused of keying a car, but that person t me on

Customer Question

I've been accused of keying a car, but that person hit me on my property today. They live next door, I'm terrified. When police e attended my assault.complaint, they told me I.was accused of something else. I had no idea. Or why the woman assaulted me. Please help me? I have chronic ptsd and am terrified. But she hit me.Please, should I have got a solicitor asap? I just told the truth but I really don't understand what's happening. Please help me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

To be convicted of damaging their car they will need evidence you did it. That will mean credible witness evidence, not just their say so, but generally that would require either an independent witness or video footage. Likely if there is no such credible evidence the police will not charge you, despite their allegations.

Conversely, if you were assaulted by them, the police will likely not charge them unless their is compelling evidence. That said, even if they don't charge them, if you are concerned that you are in danger of future assaults, you can engage a lawyer to apply for an order restraining them from further contact with you, or alternately could install security cameras, etc on your property to ensure any such assault is recorded in future.

If the police haven't charged you on the spot, and you don't believe they will have any compelling evidence that you damaged their car, then you are unlikely to ultimately be charged, even though the police may give you some stern warning or similar.

I trust the above assists.



Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

Please rate my answer as I am not paid unless you rate my answer positively.