Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Left australia due to expiry of my visa with a credit card

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, left australia due to expiry of my visa with a credit card debt and i am not planning on coming back. Can the bank force me to pay the debt
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what details do you need
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Australia Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long would the wait be
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The money owed is around $9000 and I am currently residing in Mauritius. I don't intend to go back to australia. Can I escape from paying that money to the bank. Can they legally do anything to me here.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

The bank can sue you here and get judgement against you. They will have to serve you with the documents to be able to get judgement.

Are you intending to come back?

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

Are you still in need of assistance?