How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44351
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Leo, I signed a Deed of Release as I had an awful issue

Customer Question

Hi Leo, I signed a Deed of Release as I had an awful issue recently working for ARRCS @ Mutitjulu.I was illegally terminated and I was also subjected to by another employee calling 000 stating I had self harmed & committed suicide, anyway the Police etc. stated in the report the other person had made a hoax call etc and also lied. As I have moved on and applying for Jobs a Manager is giving me Derogatory References. WHAT CAN I DO to stop this happening and thwarting my chances of employment
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

My question is, are the references accurate and true? The people he is giving them too are they prepared to give evidence for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the reference is not accurate or true, otherwise I would not be contacting you.
The other party concerned is a Recruitment Agency and act for another party the potential employer
I voiced some concern over the two statement's that caused me concern in relation to the
reference given.
They are not interested.
If you cannot help me, which I suspect then DO NOT CHARGE ME.
As far as I am concerned they are in breach of the agreement.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

Then they are defamatory and you can sue.

If the people that are being told the lies are prepared to confirm what they have been told and how it has affected their impression of you, then you have a case for compensation.

Here is some information

You have to first confront them in writing and ask them to stop and confirm to the other parties that what they have said a lies and retract them. If they refuse then court is the only other option, particularly if you cannot get a job because of their comments and they are causing your reputation to be ruined.

Please accept my apology if my questions offended. They were not meant to I just needed to know so I can provide you with the information.

What did the agreement you signed say that relates to this action?