Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Please, please can you help. I feel sick and completely

Customer Question

Please, please can you help. I feel sick and completely stupid. 5 years ago when my twins were born I was told I was entitled to Parenting Payment as well as Family Benefit. Every year I received a letter from centrelink to say that has received a notification of my husbands income from the ATO so a I thought all was well. I did not know that this not relating to PP, are these organisations not connected? My husband's salary has increased and it has now come to light that I was not entitled to PP for last 4 years. I even phone centrlink twice, last year (no ref number for call) and also a couple of months ago to let them know that the structure of my husband income has changed (he's a sole trader and we are nor a partnership). I told them I have only just done the tax return for 14/15 and I now have an income and that I probably had a debt for that financial year. I have a record number of that call. The call centre at centerlink said that they have received noticiation of income from us both and no debt was due. I have calculated the PP amount involved is around $35k. Off course if I should not of legally received this money then I should pay it back but I am so so worried that I will be prosecuted. it was an honest mistake I thought that both payments were linked and they know of my husbands income, Please an you help? Very much appreciated, I can't sleep, eat anything at the moment if it wasn't for my kids I don't know hat I would do
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

They 2 organisations are not connected but they can speak to each other. It is your responsibility to give them both the correct information.

Have they indicated they will take proceedings against you?

Have they advised you to pay the money back?