How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44177
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a record and am wondering about how I get it expunged

Customer Question

I have a record and am wondering about how I get it expunged if possible. I have a qualification to work in IT but know I can't get a baseline clearance with my record.
I was convicted of obtaining property by deception,
I paid it all back, served my community service and had a good behaviour bond that has now passed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

How long ago was the conviction?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty sure it was in 2012 or 2011. I'm not 100% sure but i'm leaning towards 2011
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

It is too soon

you have to wait 10 years with no conviction and then it will become spent.

Section 11 of the Act sets out what can be spent

and section 13 says you have to be crime free for 10 years

Here is the whole act for you to look at

Once you have had 10 years crime free then you will have it spent

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.