How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44852
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I decided I didn't want to be a member of my work Union so

Customer Question

I decided I didn't want to be a member of my work Union so just stopped paying dues. Union has now sent letter asking for unpaid dues either paid in full or a part payment and ongoing payments ie still be in Union,I, didn't realise that my dues helped a political party, I honestly thought they were collected to help the members and families. This was naive I realise now but I don't want to give anymore, also I just can't afford $13.00 a week. I can't even by their rules just stop paying they need it in writing and I need to be a financial member to quit, so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Either way they want their money.... Any help would be appreciated thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You cannot just stop making payments. You have to give them notice that you are resigning as a member and then from the effective date you no longer have to pay.

Have you terminated you membership yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant just backdate my notification
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

Unfortunately no

If they have set a date and want the money up till that date you have to pay them the money.

You have to speak with them and reach an agreement.

I would suggest you contact them and if you can afford ot pay an amount as a lump sum offer to do that and the membership to be at an end immediately.

So if you can afford to pay the $450.00 make sure that they end the membership immediately and confirm it in writing.

Also when you pay it you confirm in writing who you spoke to and that the membership is finished as at X date and enclosed is the final payment. Keep a copy of it.

Make notes on who you speak to and what was said just in case.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

I am just following up my last post.

Are you still in need of assistance?