How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jared Pereira Your Own Question
Jared Pereira
Jared Pereira, Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 15
Experience:  Principal Solicitor at Pivot Business Lawyers
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Jared Pereira is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted a traffic offence to be dealt by the court and have

Customer Question

I wanted a traffic offence to be dealt by the court and have now got a summon to appear but it is causing me so much stress it's making me sick and I have just started a new job.
I want to just pay the fine even though I'm not pleading guilty
Can I just pay the fine now and not go to court
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Jared Pereira replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I am a Victorian solicitor. Thanks for your question. Depending on your state, the Summons may have information sent with it as to how you can pay the fine and avoid going to court. If there is, pay the fine and you need not attend. Alternatively, ring the contact number on the Summons to see if it can be dealt with via fine without appearance. However, if there is no option stated, then you have to attend court. If you committed the act, then plead guilty - there is nothing to be nervous about - if you are uncomfortable appearing, then most courts have a "duty lawyer" that can appear for you for free or for a nominal fee, if you decide to plead guilty. Hope this has been of assistance, and if so, please remember to rate my answer. Best regards, Jared.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not what I wNted to know I already have this info the summons does not have s payment option.
I want to know if I can request to pay and end the matter
Expert:  Jared Pereira replied 1 year ago.

Hi, apologies if I was not clear. No you cannot. The summons is issued by the court and you are required to appear. But as I said in my previous note, if you are pleading guilty, you may not need to say anything in court - you can engage the duty lawyer, which should put you at ease. I hope this has been of assistance. Regards, Jared