Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Can i get into trouble (money wise) with sponsoring a friend

Customer Question

can i get into trouble (money wise) with sponsoring a friend from fiji to stay here with me, i will be providing "full" financial and accommodation support during her visit to my own home witch i own 90% of there abouts, that house and I live in Marsden of Logan Central , Brisbane qld, australia, 4132, I am on the pension, with Multiple Sclerosis "MS", and am frightend of what could happen and wish to know what i am in for, I've known her Monita, (indian/fiji), dob 1987, from a dating sight "oasis" started chatting with her about halfway through 2014, early in 2015 march 7? approx flew to australia, she stayed with me approx July 25 approx till september at which i then flew to fiji and stayed 3weeks with her family there, I (Adam) am 47, people are saying be careful, and i don't want to do anything stupid and loose every thing that i have at present which is my house, my concern is how do i safeguard my self from being ripped of from what little money i have and my house, yours truly Adam
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Have you lied about your capacity?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is capacity ?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Your ability to pay if need be and support them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no lies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what is going on, am i supposed to continue waiting for a response, am i suppose to sellect something,?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I c,,,,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you going to respond ???
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

You wont get into trouble if you have not lied

But if the person gets sick etc and needs medical treatment you will be asked to pay as they are not covered by medicare.

How long are they staying and how much money are they going to bring with them?

Will they have insurance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have discussed that medical point and i am strongly for "Bupa" insurance and will be paying that which is approx $13 per week unless you advise me of another insurance,* no 1/ the time that she will be staying will depend on the Australian government department and what they approve her for but it could be "3 Months" or they could approve it for 6 - 12 or possibley 24 months it depends on the Australian government department of Immigration and Border protection form 1419 is what i believe is being sent to them "Application for a Visitor Visa - Tourist stream" form 1419 * no 2 / she will not be bringing money, I will be supporting her "full support and accomodation" * no 3 / Bupa insurance approx 13 per week unless you can advise me different ?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

I cannot tell you what insurer to go with but they have to be covered because the Medicare system will not pay for them.

As a tourist she can only stay 3 6 or 12 months.

If she stays for 24 months and you support her, you start to fall into defacto territory and she can then make a claim.

So if there is intention of any sexual relations you are putting yourself in a position where she may have a claim.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. when does that clock start ticking regards ***** ***** months defacto law ? as she has stayed here in parts of August and then I went 3 weeks with her in sisters place Nadi for half the time in Nadi fiji and then the mothers family home in Navua fiji , I / we arived in Nadi 17:00 wednesday 2nd of september i think for 3 weeks up till wednesday 23 rd I Myself came back to brisbane 10:30 am, .2. **** " what can / could she claim for ??????"
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

It starts from the date that they say the relationship started. If they are in a relationship and catch up regularly then when they started doing this can be used as the date that the 2 years is calculated.

After 2 years is established it is like a marriage and she can claim maintenance if you are supporting her and even property. She may not get any property because there would be no contributions but maintenance she can claim.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok,,,, i'm on the pension for MS, and lumber spine damage, I get $435 per week approx, how much can / could maintenance add up to ????
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

I cannot answer that. The court will look at what you have been providing her with and her need

$60 per week may be enough for her in the philippines. But I cannot say.

The longer she is with you the greater her entitlements

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. for how many years will i have to pay approx $60 per week ??? .2. if she has a child to me how much does that increase the amount "$" ?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

That is something the court would decide and it is not an accurate amount it is something i plucked out of the air.

The law will follow the following when making a decision.

http://www.diyfamilylawaustralia.com/Topic/spousal_maintenance_how_calculated.html

If the child is not yours then you cannot be asked to pay.

But from what you are telling me you are entering into dangerous territory.

You have to be careful on what you do.

If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards