Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

We are seeking legal advice. We live on a farm. We have a

Customer Question
Hey there. We are seeking...
Hey there. We are seeking legal advice. We live on a farm. We have a dog. Our neighbour came over 2 days ago and accused our dog of killing 8 of their chooks. It was not our dog that did it- she was on a dog run on a chain. There was absolutely no evidence such as blood or feathers on her and her breed wont do that- they normally kill 1 and bring it home- none of which happened. He has absolutely no proof that out dog was responsible and that we do have foxes and wild dogs everwhere. He is demading we pay up $600 for replacement chooks. I gave him $100 to shut him up but i have always believed that the guy is lying through his teeth to extort money. We have the backing of 2 vets and 2 chicken experts to prove that our breed of dog doesnt do what happened. We need legal advice. Its his word against ours. We have lost a beautiful dog who is innocent. He wouldve shot her otherwise
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
10/15/2015
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Leon, Solicitor

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You should not have given him anything.

Get the vets to give you something in writing about what they say.

You are correct it is his word against yours and you should make sure that you keep your dog locked up so that if it happens again you have more evidence.

Unless there is evidence there is nothing that can be done by him.

If he sues it is his word against yours and the court will not be happy to deal with this type of matter.

He cannot do anything successfully without evidence.

But do not give him anymore money

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.

If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Good Morning

Just following up my last post. Are you still in need of assistance?

Leon, Solicitor