Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Can a ex partner throw away my entire property? Including

Customer Question
birth certs, passport, bank statements...
Can a ex partner throw away my entire property? Including birth certs, passport, bank statements, my entire identity & life basically plus goods to council pick up in which she has done.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
9/21/2015
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello
Herein lies the issue, you lived together, thus the items that went to council pick up are part of the matrimonial pool.
Thus, she cannot be charged for items that were for both of you.
In respect of the passports and the like, well it is property, she can be charged with damage to property and the like by the police.
I would however suggest that the police will do little to assist, with respect, sadly.

Daniel, Solicitor