Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

I have a 17 year old son who attends a private boarding

Customer Question

I have a 17 year old son who attends a private boarding college. Recently his year had their ball and we travelled from the country and signed him out of the college and he stayed in our accommodation. We dropped him back at the college for the ball and picked him up on completion and he returned with us to the motel. He then had a couple of drinks with my permission in another friends room. He did not give or permit any other friends to have some of his drinks but a few others took some and drank them after he ha d left the room.
The college is going to suspend him
for this, do they have the right to suspend him when he was in my care?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

It does seem harsh but almost certainly they do have that power, assuming the college has rules that you and your son agreed to prior to his placement at the college.

Also be aware that supplying alcohol to a minor, even your own child, is an offence in most states (I am not sure where you are located), so technically, you could be referred to the police if you admit your role in his possession and consumption of alcohol and could potentially face charges.

I appreciate this is not the answer you may have been hoping for but it does reflect the law as it applies to your situation, and I trust it at least assists your understanding.

Please rate my answer.

Patrick