Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Im an Australian citizen and I'm over in bali. I think I've

Customer Question
fallen victim to a type...
Im an Australian citizen and I'm over in bali. I think I've fallen victim to a type of scam. I've signed up to a travel type of membership... I was tired and trying to help this Balinese man and then ended up getting talked into signing up to a 10 year membership for access to a number of hotels around asia and the world at a good rate. It was so so so convincing and sounded like a great idea but I've looked into it all a bit more now (via Google) and I think it is a legitimate business but I think the cAtch is that they don't ever actually allow you to have access to those particular Hotels. I've paid a 50% deposit. The balance of the membership is to be paid over an 18 month period with monthly instalments. I don't know what to do?!? We are meant to be seeing the people again on Tuesday for a drink/dinner.... This is when the funds would have cleared for the deposit. I'm wondering if I should go to the Australian embassY or seek some other legal advise here in Indonesia. I want to get out of this contract. I can't see any cooling off periods in the paperwork.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
9/13/2015
Solicitor: kmslaw, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
kmslaw
kmslaw, Solicitor

Hi my name is ***** ***** I am a NSW lawyer who will help you with your inquiry today.

You have signed a contract in Indonesia so the best way to get out of the contract would be to speak to an Indonesian lawyer to see about your rights in relation to it. If the company who you signed up with has assets there you are best to sue there. They may have assets in Australia but since you are in Indonesia anyway you should look into it as it may be simple enough to sue them there and have the judgement enforced in Australia if they have assets here. How much did you pay for the deposit?

The deposit paid is around $4000. Will it cost more than that to actually seek legal advice! If so, there's probably no point.I'm wondering if the Australian embassy is my next step? I've cancelled my card so they can't access any further payments. I don't think the business is a total
Scam - as there is a business and they do offer time share type arrangements but it has come to my attention that they have been operating like this for some time now and many people have not been able to actually access the accommodation that they were promised.

I can't comment on the price of a lawyer in Indonesia, sorry. Maybe make a few inquiries there. I can't help you with Indonesian law.

kmslaw
kmslaw
kmslaw, Solicitor