How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5421
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son had testicle cancer back 18 months ago and has

Customer Question

Hi,My son had testicle cancer back 18 months ago and has insurance,There is a trauma part to the insurance.The officer looking after his case said he could be paid out,up to $250,000 due to his condition.He never heard anything for months and then he found out he officer handling his case had left and the insurance company ran one day and said we have found you case which had been lost.they then said we need 3 month to update the history to this claim.Its now almost 2 yrs since since the illness has happened and the insurance company keep dragging things out,Just wondering if this is worth pursuing,Im his father and Im concerned as this has totally stressed my son out for almost the last 2yrs and still nothing has happened.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

You need to write a firm letter to the insurer pressing them for resolution of the claim, advising them that the previous claims officer had indicated they appeared to be liable, and advising them that you will refer the matter to the Financial Services Ombudsman if they do not respond ASAP as it has been an unreasonably long wait.

If they deny the claim they should explain why. If they offer an inadequate explanation or fail to respond in a reasonable further time frame (say a couple of weeks) you should make a complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman which is an inexpensive alternative to going to court and can generally resolve cases like this.

Indeed if you have any doubt about the decision the insurer has made you should seek further advice.

I have considerable insurance experience and would be happy to review your insurance policy terms if they do deny your claim.

I trust the above assists.

Please rate my answer.


Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

I note you have reviewed but not rated my answer.

Please rate my answer so I can be paid for my time and effort.

I am paid out of the funds you previously deposited, there is no further charge for rating my answer.