How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5621
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Rental home and occupants victims of home invasion this week

Customer Question

rental home and occupants victims of home invasion this week @ redlands shire s/e qld 1 panel sliding door smashed, security screen door wrecked,property now insecure police attended and i was advised the person or persons responsible will be charged by police. i contacted real estate whom i rent property from and requested that they or property owner fix the damage,i have supplied police report to them but they say they will not fix anything unless i have these persons charged. one of the persons responsible is known to me but i have not provoked this person in any way, he and his accomplices had various weapons at the time of this incident and not knowing his background or his accomplices am concerned of what they may be capable of. my 2 teenage children also live with me. i would appreciate your advice as to what i can do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Are you a tenant? Or the landlord of the premises?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

In respect of the matter, you are able to withhold rent or pay a reduced amount of rent till the issues are rectified.
It does not matter if you report it or not, you were not to blame for the damage regardless.