Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

Rental home and occupants victims of home invasion this week

Customer Question

rental home and occupants victims of home invasion this week @ redlands shire s/e qld 1 panel sliding door smashed, security screen door wrecked,property now insecure police attended and i was advised the person or persons responsible will be charged by police. i contacted real estate whom i rent property from and requested that they or property owner fix the damage,i have supplied ref.no.of police report to them but they say they will not fix anything unless i have these persons charged. one of the persons responsible is known to me but i have not provoked this person in any way, he and his accomplices had various weapons at the time of this incident and not knowing his background or his accomplices am concerned of what they may be capable of. my 2 teenage children also live with me. i would appreciate your advice as to what i can do
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello
Are you a tenant? Or the landlord of the premises?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tenant
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

In respect of the matter, you are able to withhold rent or pay a reduced amount of rent till the issues are rectified.
It does not matter if you report it or not, you were not to blame for the damage regardless.