How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44178
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been legally seperated from my husbane since he left

Customer Question

I have been legally seperated from my husbane since he left our home in April 2011.
I had to sell the family home mortgage including one 38th foot boat which he has and another $420.00 in mortgages and ended up myself with $42,000.00. I am now boarding with a friend and receiving an old age pension as I am 74. I was wondering if I can claim maintenance from my husband as he has been living in a defacto relationship for the last 4 years and they are both still working. Regards ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Usually spousal support is applied for at the time of separation and it is not an indefinite entitlement.

Here is some information about spousal maintenance.

You also mention that you have a Binding Financial Agreement.

Was that at the end as you settlement?