Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I am looking at signing a contract apartment conditional to

Customer Question

hi,
i am looking at signing a contract for an apartment conditional to the sale of my property.
I will have 60 days after signing the contract to sell my property and then 30 days to settle.
My questions are- I am in possession of the contract but I have not yet signed- the agent is hassling me to sign. I have my solicitor checking the contract- therefore should I NOT BE ALLOWED TIME TO DO THIS AND PRACTICE DUE DILIGENCE?
and if my property does sell soon would i not be better to get a new contract which is not then dependant on the sale of my property?
If you could please advise me id appreciate it. I felt pressured by the agent today to sign but I don't want to put myself in a vulnerable position.
Thanks in advance,
Jenny
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening,

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You have every right to do your due diligence, undertake building and pest reports and also look at finance approval if it is required.

The contract should state that if your property sells earlier that settlement will take place at the same time as your property settles.

I would not sign anything until your solicitor is finished looking at the contract and has requested any changes that they believe are necessary to protect you.

Do not let the agent bully you and simply advise that you will sign once your solicitor says it is time.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Leon, you've given me some peace of mind. I did feel bullied today. the agent said to me it never takes this long but I have only had the contract for two days- My lawyer is very good and I don't believe he will let me sign until he is 100 per cent certain the contract is right for me.
I appreciate your feedback Leon- a property is such a massive decision and not one that should be rushed into.
Cheers again,
Jenny
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

If he continues to badger you, make a complaint about him to his boss.

All the best and good luck

You are very welcome and thank you for using my services.

Regards