How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44904
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister and I are tenants in common and she now wants to

Customer Question

Hello there, My sister and I are tenants in common and she now wants to sell our mother's house we were bequeathed when our mum died. We offered to buy her half using a certified valuer of the estate but now she is asking for more and says she can just
get three Real Estate agent quotes to get the value of the house. Obviously these agents will inflate the value to get the sale. Can she force me to sell? My son actually wants to buy her half for his first home as he has sentimental attachment to it. Wouldn't
we get first choice of purchasing her half? Wouldn't it be fairer to get a certified valuer and use his quote rather than using her real estate agents' quotes? This has come out of the blue and all my sister says is she can force me to sell on her terms. Is
that correct? Do I have any rights in wanting a certified valuer to assess the house value so my son can buy her half at a realistic price? Thanking you for any information you can provide and it is much appreciated. Regards, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

She can force you to sell but needs a court order.

What do you think it is worth?