Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I own a blind business and just found out he has been

Customer Question
selling the same product using...
I own a blind business and just found out he has been selling the same product using his website on my time how can I sue him and what is this called technically?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
He was employed as a salesperson I've paid him well and to my disgust found out he's been gaining work using my time,knowledge, and marketing strategies using his own website!
My phone number is(###) ###-####thanks ! This is really urgent as I need to fire him ASAP and take legal action against him
Can I sue him for stealing intellectual property
8/17/2015
Solicitor: Patrick H., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer

It would assist if you can elaborate on what sytems, strategies or documentation he has taken or used for his private purposes.

If you would like a phone call then you should indicate what times would suit for a phone call.

Patrick

Please call at Perth time 9am on(###) ###-####thanks . He hasn't to my knowledge stolen anything but created a website behind my back and using it to solicit work in direct competition to my company as I'm his employer. He also uses my strategy for creating leads
I have sent you an offer for a phone conversation. Once you accept I will contact you ASAP after.
I've already paid 90 dollars for no response !
Can youp lease call me ive paid 90 dollars to so far get no advice .(###) ###-####urgently!

Sorry, but extra charges are supposed to apply where a phone conversation is sought. Noting you are unwilling to pay for a phone conversation, I will attempt to address your answer as follows.

Your case against your employee will be clearest if you have a written contract that specifically restricts your employee from competing with, or to use your intellectual property for private purposes, but absent a clear contractual term to that effect, your ability to take action against your employee is problematic. This is one of the reasons it is important to have a written and well thought through employment contract for all staff.

Although it creates some uncertainty, without a suitable written contractual term, you may still be able to take legal action or disciplinary action if you can demonstrate your employee has misused something that is the property of you as the employer (whether physical, or intellectual property, or whether he has use his time working for you to run his own business) then it would appear he has breached his duties to you as his employer. Essentially he is breaching an implied term of his employment contract.

acted in a way which conflicts with his duties to you as an employer, but whether this is grounds for a law suit or for summary dismissal will depend on exactly how serious the misconduct is. Absent a clear contractual prohibition, a court or the Fair Work Commission will not find that an employee has done anything wrong just because he does some similar work outside of normal hours, but may take a far more serious view if your staff member has taken your companies customer list and is trying to convert your customers to his. The former is not a problem at all as far as the law is concerned, and the later would likely be grounds for both summary dismissal and a damages claim.

If you cannot identify anything that your staff member has actually taken from your company, or cannot prove he has been operating his competing business on your time, then your case against him may be problematic.

If you can prove he was working on your time, then he is clearly in the wrong, but if not, and you are only really able to establish that he is operating a business in competition with ou, then the following link may assist your understanding of what employees are allowed or not allowed to do even without a formal contract:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/UNSWLJ/2001/27.html

If you can show he is in the wrong, whether you can simply dismiss your employee will depend on how serious his misconduct was. One phone call on your time for his own purposes, is likely only cause for a warning, whereas spending hours running his own business when he should be running yours, would likely be accepted by the Fair Work Comission as grounds for summary dismissal.

If you have a follow up question I'd be happy to assist you further.

Otherwise, please rate my answer.

Patrick

i now you have reviewed my answer.
Of you have a follow-up question please ask, otherwise please rate my answer.
Thanks,
Patrick
Patrick H.
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer