Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Iam overseas and expected back to sydney in few months. I

Customer Question

iam overseas and expected back to sydney in few months. I have above 120k credit card debit. Most of this debit was reported into my credit hsitory as default and transfered from bank to collection agencies as they keep calling me. Only one back didnt report it into my CRA. Would this indicate possible case against me, would police arrest me on arrival? can i know if iam sought for invistigation
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.

Good Evening,

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You cannot be arrested for debts.

This is a civil matter and they can sue you and declare you bankrupt but it is not a criminal offence.

You will have difficulty getting finance and also doing anything where your credit will be checked. Even getting a mobile phone will be hard.

But you will not be arrested or go to jail.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
JUST ONE MORE CLARIFICATION.
Banks who reported the default actually sold the debit to other companies like lion finance. Iam worried about banks who didnt report at all. it doesnt show on my CRA report. Also due to the fact that i stopped repayment all of the sudden, iam bit worried of fraud allegations???
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.

Good Evening

Non payment of credit cards is not fraud. Obtaining finance with false information is fraud.
So if you did the later and the banks report it to the police then you can be charged for that.