How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James D. Ford Your Own Question
James D. Ford
James D. Ford, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 1601
Experience:  Consulting Principal at Nexus Law Group
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
James D. Ford is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friendship with a Malaysian national. born and hold

Customer Question

I have a friendship with a Malaysian national.
I am Australian born and hold a New Zealand Passport.
My friend, James has been here on business; and is now
wanting to retire here in Australia.
He is anticipating applying to purchase a residential property.
Initially, I see myself as his personal assistant.. and friend, but
if our relationship develops beyond this... do we have to have evidence for any 'specific' length of time; prior to say, our names both being on a 'house ' purchase; and or
becoming engaged, with intention to marry?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  James D. Ford replied 2 years ago.

Hi, can you please advise what it is you are seeking advice on?

I assume it a question in relation to James' visa options... longer term? what visa is he on now? how long has he been in Australia? as the visa he is currently on.. could have permanent visa options attached to it...

There are a number of visa options.. and as you have indicated... as your relationship could go either way... there is a Prospective Marriage Visa (sub-class 300) that allows 9 months for you to marry... however.. you must be overseas when you apply, and stay overseas until the visa is granted... already be in a relationship... have evidence of the relationship... and an intention to marry.... which it sounds like is not currently the case...

With regard to any specific length of time.. no.. the law does not mandate that you must be in a relationship for any specific length of time before you buy a property together, or become engaged with intention to marry...

Kind regards, James