How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5420
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married overseas when I was under 18 as there was a mistake

Customer Question

Hi! I married overseas when I was under 18 as there was a mistake in my birth certificate. My husband is an Australian citizen. I was married to my husband from 1994-2014 and we had a son who is now 19. If I get my marriage annulled overseas, will that affect my citizen status in Australia? I have been an Australian citizen for 16 years
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello,If you are an Australian citizen, and not just in possession of a visa as the spouse of an Australian, then divorcing or annulling your marriage overseas should have no impact on your citizenship. Once you have become an Australian citizen, changes to your marital status will not alter your citizenship status, regardless of whether such changes happen in Australia or elsewhere.I trust this assists.Please rate my answer.Patrick.
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I note you have reviewed but not rated my answer.
Please rate my answer as I am only paid out of the funds you previously deposited if you give me a positive rating.