Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

We have been renting a house which we lived in but

Customer Question

We have been renting a house which we lived in but moved towns, we had some steel we purchased & a new flat packed shed that we left behind.
We told the real estate agent looking after the rental for us to see if it would be right to leave with the tenant & pick up at a later date, we were told that would be fine.
We went back out at Easter this year to pick up but the steel & shed were no longer there.
We have photo's of the items from a mowing contractor that showing us it was all still there after the tenants moved in as they complained they wanted the yard mowed for which we obliged.
we also have photo's of it from the rental agency.
We have approached the police but they have been less than helpful, we are continually calling them but to to no end in site. They also just said to my wife that it took 6 weeks to get the receipts to them which was not true for the shed receipt its just that the steel receipt took longer to find plus in that time we spent over a week still travelling home from where our rented house is to where we live now.
We have a witness from the business behind the house seeing the steel being loaded on a trailer, but he said he thought it was strange but didn't take a whole lot of notice.
We are now wondering what we can do on our own?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning,My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.I assume there is nothing in writing with the agent about the shed?Are you certain the tenants took it? What was it worth? Did the agent refund them their bond?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The tenants are still in the house, yes we have photo's with the agent of the items & the mowing contractor.
Items are approximately $7000.00 in value with receipts provided.
Tenants have admitted to saying they thought it was rubbish & gave someone permission to take it 1stly without contacting us or the rental agency.
The shed was completely flat packed, no one would ever think it was rubbish.
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning,You will have to sue the agent, as you had an agreement with the agent. If the agent can show they have them notified the tenant they can join the tenant. Or alternatively you sue them both. These are you options. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon