How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5776
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In January of this year my 13 year de facto relationship ended.

Customer Question

In January of this year my 13 year de facto relationship ended. The past 8-9years we had purchased and built a house which we lived in together, I did not put any money down initially,but had contributed in every other way that a person in a de facto relationship would. Whether it was bills,furniture,concreting,lawn,groceries etc. For the past 20-22months I was paying absolutely everything including the mortgage. She says I'm entitled to nothing as I didn't put any money initially down. Where do I stand and what if any are my chances of seeing a financial settlement. As I have moved States to try and rebuild my life and as a43year old with 2 children whom I have access to,I would like to be in a more stable financial position. I'm very worried because don't have money to throw around and my worldly possessions are a $4000 car and my clothes. Need help to start over again.Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello13 years is what is considered a lengthy marriage / de facto.Thus you are entitled to at the very least 40% of the home, alone, based on what you have said.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's all of my response?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
No, just as intro
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
In respect of the matter, you would be entitled to 40% of the value of the home. I would suggest that you speak to him / her and have them pay you out that value.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago. they do not agree you can file in court.