How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I took out health insurance with Australian

Customer Question

My husband and I took out health insurance with Australian Casualty & Life P/L over 30 years ago and we paid premiums and received benefits. Latterly the company was taken over by National Mutual and was then in partnership with AMP. Earlier this year I received a letter from AMP stating that they would have to cancel my membership (my husband has passed away) due to legislation introduced this year which effectively stated that this insurance was no longer available and that I would have to seek Health insurance elsewhere. I immediately sought same through GMHBA but was advised by them that I needed to obtain a Clearance Certificate so as to avoid having to pay the LHC levy. I requested this of AMP and they said they could not do this and were seeking to obtain compensation from their Board to cover the LHC which would apply for 10 years. I last spoke to them in April and despite numerous emails to AMP's legal department have not been advised as to whether this compensation is available, nor have I received refund of the balance of my annual premium paid last October. I have been in touch with the Health Insurance Ombudsman who say they cannot act because AMP are not registered health insurance providers. It is going to cost me approx $12,000.00 over the next ten years to cover the LHC - I earn less than $70K per year - is there any chance of AMP being brought to account? I would appreciate your advices Judy Coles
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
HelloThe difficulty is that they have an allowance to refuse insurance and change policy.I would suggest demanding that the ombudsman look into the matter and or seek help from another insurer.The difficulty in suing is that the court may well rule that they have a right to refuse giving you insurance.