Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My tenant left his stuff in my garage and hasn't come back…

Customer Question
My tenant left his stuff...
My tenant left his stuff in my garage and hasn't come back for it. My new tenant wants access to the garage. What can I do. I have asked the former tenant to remove it and given him written notice to collect it but he has ignored me.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2015
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 years ago
Leon, Solicitor
Good Evening,My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.You have to try and contact the old tenant and ask him to remove his items. You can also start action in the Magistrates court to have them given to charities or disposed of. Without the orders you will be liable for losses and the old tenant can sue you for the loss. With the order you are free to dispose of them and no liability. Take the matter to court and get the orders. Also ask the court for costs of storage and disposal if it is going to cost you anything. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon