Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

There, I got caught a couple of weeks ago stealing a

Customer Question
Hi there, I got caught a...
Hi there,
I got caught a couple of weeks ago stealing a chocllate bar which totalled up to 7 dollars. I have court in two days. However, i got caught again this morning for stealing a wrap and a few other things that totalled up to 11.60 dollars. I was not thinking and simply did it because i did not have enough money and thouhgt i could get away with it. I am 18 and currently at UNI studying. Will i get a record against my name even though i have been caught twice? Please help me, I am so worried and confused.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/29/2015
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Leon, Solicitor
Good Afternoon, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.Have you don't this before?
Good Evening,
Are you still in need of assistance?
No i Havent, but i got caught for the second time. I went to court for my first offence, and i didnt get a fine, but i got a 2 month good behaviour and if i break it within 2 months from that court day then i have to pay 150 dollars.
Good Evening, How long ago was that? Was the offence the last time the same type of offence?
Yes. It was both shoplifting under 150 dollars. The first one was 9 dollars and the second one was $11.60. The first offence made was 17 of July and the second offence was 28th of July.
Good Evening, You have a problem. The court will re-sentence you on the first offence as you have breached the good behaviour bond and also on this one. You will not go to jail but you will be fined. Do you think you may have a problem?
I am not worried about the fine, all i am worried about is if i will get a conviction against my name. If this is my second ever offence and when taking into consideration i am studying fulltime at uni am employed and am currently on medication for depression, is it likely that i will get a conviction against my name?
Good Evening, You already have a conviction with the first offence. If the court gave you a good behaviour bond, then the court has convicted you and that was the sentence. You are now facing a second one and the first being re-visited. Were you on this medication when you committed the first offence?
Well what i mean is that will it be recorded against my name when for example i am applying for a job in the future; will Employers be able to see that i stole? And my duty lawyer said that i did nto get a conviction against my name when i went to court. And yes i was on mediation when i commited the first offence. I take 100mg of lovan ( medication for depression ) every night.
It will be there for ever and it will also impact on you travelling. If they ask for a criminal check they will see them.Because the good behaviour bond is still in place you will now be convicted of the first offence. Were you on the medication at the time of the first offence?