How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5421
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

With writing wills other than online wills can you make your

Customer Question

With writing wills other than online wills can you make your own and have it signed by jp or something or for it to be legal does it need to go through a solicitor / lawyer
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 2 years ago.
In theory it can be done without a lawyer, but it must comply strictly with the legal requirements for a will or it may fail on a technicality. Each Australian state and territory has its own legislation setting out the formal requirements for a will, and if you indicate what state you are in I can refer you to the relevant law so you can see for yourself what is required. The formalities of drafting and executing a will are not entirely straight forward, and there are legal rules that only a lawyer is likely to be aware of which should be taken into account when drafting a will in all but the most straight forward of circumstances. For this reason, if there are significant assets involved, it is generally worthwhile to engage a lawyer to act for you. Whilst it may cost you several hundred dollars to get a simple will made, it may save your beneficiaries thousands of dollars in probate costs that might be incurred if your will is legally flawed in some way.If you need assistance locating a suitable lawyer, contact the Law Society in your state or territory (called the Law Institute in Victoria) as they can refer you to suitable lawyers in your area.Good luck and please rate my answer.Patrick

Related Australia Law Questions