How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44177
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with receiving stolen goods in 2011 which

Customer Question

Hi, . I was charged with receiving stolen goods in 2011 which I got a section 10. On 6/6/2015 I was charged with shoplifting $20.00 worth of food from Coles & $180.00 worth of clothes from target I honestly don't know why I did this & I have not done this before. I am so embarrassed about this I can't eat I am having trouble sleeping & I feel sick to the stomach. My son has arranged a family holiday to the states in August & everything is paid for & I am so worried I will be convicted can you please advise me. The police did say to me they thought I would not need a solicitor & said they would put in there report that I was very cooperative can you please advise me on this matter. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.The issue is that it is a minor offence but having been given a section 10 for true earlier one you may not get one now. If you have a solicitor they may be able to convince the court to grant you one more as it is a minor offence. Have you applied for the Visa Waiver? Even though you got a section 10 you cannot apply because you were charged and this has to be disclosed to go to the US
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have travelled to the U.S. On 4 occasions after 2011 section 10 & was not advised by my Solicitor that I had to apply for a Visa Waiver
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is section 10a in law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good AfternoonUnless the travel agent applies for you. You have to apply for a Visa to go to the USHere is a link for you on section 10
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
I look forward to hearing from you.