Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a tenant who has left the premises. He was given notice…

Customer Question
I have a tenant who...
I have a tenant who has left the premises. He was given notice and asked if he could keep his stuff in our garage. I said yes and told him yesterday that he has five days to remove it. He said he will when he's ready. What responsibility do I have?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/21/2015
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 years ago
Leon, Solicitor
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.You cannot throw it out because you agreed. Send him a letter and give him notice to remove it or you will charge him rent as he has nor given vacant possession and will take it to court and get orders to give the items to charity. The court will grant the order, and when you have it you can get rid of the items and have no risk of being sued. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further hank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon

I did give him written notice of five days. Is this legal?

Good EveningWas the notice in writing or verbal?If verbal I would not rely on it because he can deny it. Do everything in writing. You cannot throw it out though. Even though you give notice to have it removed, if you throw it out you can be liable for the cost

It is written

Good EveningIt is legal if he does not remove it then go to court and get the order.
Good Afternoon
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards