Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I have a current vehicle accident situation that I would like

Customer Question
advice on. I was driving...
I have a current vehicle accident situation that I would like advice on. I was driving through a carpark and was about to pull into a parking space when I realised I was in the wrong place so I stopped before entering the carspace, put the car into reverse and just as I was about to reverse a car hit me from behind. There was a brief heated exchange between myself and the other driver, at which point i felt the need to deflate the hostility of the situation quickly so the matter could be dealt with calmly. During the heated verbal exchange i felt my safety was at risk and to deflate the situation I told the other driver that i was a police officer and we needed to deal with the situation calmly in order to move forward. His demeanour instantly calmed and we proceeded to inspect our respective vehicle's, while i was inspecting my vehicle he was saying to me that he thought i was pulling into the car space and didn't realise i was going to stop, he apologised and said he was sorry. After inspecting my vehicle there was very little to no damage, all that was visible were a couple of minor starches on the back bumper and a small cease in the plastic of the bumper. While i was doing this i assume he was looking at his car. I didn't inspect his car with any detail. He was apologising. I told him it was not my fault, he was following so closely and possibly at speed or not paying full attention, i told him I did not wish to take the matter any further given the minor amount of damage to my car and the fact that i was shortly moving interstate. I told him i would not be involving the police or wanting to take the matter any further. He said "thank you so much" "I'm so sorry". We both got back in our cars and drove away. No details were exchanged. I am NOT a police officer and simply said this to calm and deflate the situation. Subsequently, I have been contacted by the police at my home in regards ***** ***** matter. I have not been at home but my wife has answered the door. What I would like advice on at this stage is the best way forward from here. The police have told my wife that they want a statement to understand the "minor incident" from my side.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/14/2015
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Leon, Solicitor
Good Afternoon
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
It is a serious matter to hold out yourself to be a policeman and you can be charged.
The offence is under section 546D of the Crimes act which is below
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/ca190082/s546d.html
You are going to have to talk to them because they are going to come back.
You do not have to tell them anything as you have a right to be silent. I would suggest that you contact them and make arrangements to go and see them but make sure you take a solicitor that practices in Criminal Law with you.
The accident is not the issue your impersonation of an officer is.
I hope this makes sense?
Good evening
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
I have not explained myself well.Can you confirm this corro is not on any public forum?
Good Morning
It is public
If you want to send anything in private you can email me on
***@******.***
Leon, Solicitor