Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have an issue with

Customer Question
Hi. I have an issue...
Hi. I have an issue with the way sportsbet have handled a bet that I made with them last weekend.
My major issue is that I was not notified of anything until the next day. Had I at least of known there was an issue, I could have re-invested my refunded bet. I have been robbed of any opportunity to place a bet, but more than that, I feel like the bet should have just been paid.
To the best of my knowledge, there was no action taken until after the event. This tells me that had my bet of lost, then they would have gladly collected my money.
THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME!!!
In the past, I have made bets that have been incorrectly paid and when contacted, sportsbet gave no reply whatsoever.
Happy to go into this in more detail. I am ropable.
I can also provide copies of all correspondence between sportsbet and myself regarding this matter.
Cheers, Rob.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/12/2015
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 years ago
Leon, Solicitor
Good Evening
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
I am unable to make sense of what you have sent.
If possible can you send the emails so that they are separate to***@******.***
Good Evening
I am following up my last post.
Good Evening
Just checking to see if you still need assistance?

Yes. Of course i do.

i sent u 3 emails today to the address u provided.

all marked Att: Leon. Rob Eakins Vs sportsbet

Hi Rob
I will follows them up
I have not received them
Will get back to you when I get them.
Hi (Response By E-mail (Phuong) (08/06/2015 09.12 AM))

Hi Robert,

We’re dropping you a line regarding a recent bet you have placed on your Sportsbet account.

This correspondence serves as notification that your bet on O/0875873/0000806/D has been cancelled due to the wrong lines/odds being posted.

Your bet was cancelled in accordance with our Rules, Terms & Conditions regarding Errors, which are locatedhere , see specifically Rule 83 which states:

87. Sportsbet makes every effort to ensure that no errors are made in prices offered or bets accepted on an Account. However, we reserve the right to correct any obvious errors and to void any bets where such has occurred. Should this occur, Sportsbet will endeavour to contact the Member by email or telephone.

As a result of this your wagers placed on this event have been made void and refunded to your account. Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you require further assistance with the above, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service Team using the details listed below.

Kind Regards,

Phuong
Sportsbet Customer Service Team

This is the email that I sent to sportsbet.

Customer By CSS Web (Robert) (11/06/2015 06.36 PM)

To whom it may concern,
Recently I have made, and won a bet placed on my sportsbet account. The bet was for Valteri Bottas to win his group in the last round of the Formula 1 Championship.
However, this bet has been incorrectly voided and my original bet refunded.
I say incorrectly because in my opinion, Sportsbet.com has absolutely no right to refund this bet.
In the e-mail (Question Reference # ***** Date Created: 08/06/2015 09.12 AM) that was sent to me the following day, it is stated that sportsbet reserve the right to correct any obvious errors and to void any bets where such has occurred.
There was absolutely no obvious errors involved with this bet. V. Bottas was paying $7. Not $70, as would indicate an obvious error.
Now I can understand that sportsbet has made an error, however, that is not my fault. That is the fault of sportsbet and it's employees, and they should be the ones made responsible.
Refunding my bet is simply not good enough. You have robbed me of the opportunity to place other wagers in this event by accepting the bet in the first place.
It has not gone unnoticed that the bet was not voided or refunded until after the race. I am certain that if V. Bottas had of crashed or suffered a mechanical failure or just simply lost out to D. Ricciardo or D. Kvyat, or the other driver whom I cant remember at this moment, then sportsbet would have been more than happy to collect my money and never mention it again.
This is not fair and equal to robbing me in a dark ally with 5 of your mates.
You cannot simply take your bat and ball and go home, just because you got out.

As stated on the Sportsbet homepage,

Placing a sports bet is a game of skill. The challenge is to gather and analyze as much information as you can about a game, weigh the probabilities of each team winning, and subsequently compare your opinion to the oddsmaker's.

While luck may be a deciding factor in the outcome of any single game, and will inevitably go against the bettor on occasion, it will balance out in the long run.

On these grounds, I demand to be paid out on this wager. I have been a sportsbet customer for a lengthy period of time and have well and truly covered the amount owing on this payout. It is inevitable, every now and then the bettor is going to lose, as is the bettee. That's the nature of the game.

Again, Taken from the sportsbet website,

Justice Payouts & Refunds

Definition: do the right thing by punters robbed by the result.
Denied a winning bet by a bad decision or something extraordinary?
We do our best to make sure punters don’t suffer as a result of a bad decision or blatant error of judgement.

This is the perfect example of a punter being robbed, however this time it is sportsbet itself doing the robbery. This decision is extraordinary in itself, however the timing of this decision is the real kicker.
This is absolutely an error of judgement on sportsbet's behalf, so, I implore you, do the right thing by a punter who has been robbed and reverse your decision not to pay this bet.

This is what I received FROM Sportsbet.

Dear *****,

Thanks for the email.

Your bet on Valteri Bottas was cancelled due to the wrong lines/odds being posted. The bet was cancelled before the event had begun so if Bottas crashed or retired, you would not have lost any money. The $7 odds posted were vastly different to what our traders intended to set the market at for the event, which was $1.30.

Your bet was cancelled in accordance with our Rules, Terms & Conditions regarding Errors, which are located here , see specifically Rule 83 which states:

Kind Regards,

Damon
Sportsbet Customer Service Team

To whom it may concern,

As stated on the Sportsbet homepage,

Justice Payouts & Refunds

Good Morning
Can I confirm they have not paid you anything at all only refunded the money you bet?
You won in your bet correct?

Correct.

bet refunded.

original bet SHOULD have won just under 800 dollars.

Good Morning
They have a right to correct their mistake.
You cannot sue for the $70 as it was an error but as they say it was to be $7 you can argue that they should have paid out on the $7.00
Would that mean you would have won $80.00?

No.

I am arguimg that they should pay out on the $7.

My original wager was $130 on Bottas, which was paying $7.

Should of payed $910.

This is fact. I just checked my account to double check.

they say it should have been paying 1.30

No.

Should of payed $910.

they say it should have been paying $1.30.

Under their ruling, they say that they reserve the right to fix obvious mistakes...

key word for me is obvious.

what makes this an obvious mistake?

Mistake yes. But not an obvious one.

should be payed out due to me not being offered a chance to redirect my bet.

Good Morning
They should have said $7 correct?
I agree with you they should pay you out at the correct amount.
You made the bet validly.
They made an error at $ 70.00 but the can correct that and reduce the payout.
I think you have a case.
You placed the bet it was accepted the issue is the odds were incorrect. They should correct them and pay you out at the correct amount.
To take to court you will have to do this on your own as the amount you claim is not much
It would have to be started in the Magistrates court or VCAT.

No.

$70 is a number that i referred to as an obvious error.

they advertised $7 as the oayout figure..

that was the bet i placed and that was accepted.

Good Morning
What was the correct amount that they should have placed?

As it says in all the previous information i have already provided,

In the e-mail that was sent to me the day after the event, they claimed it was supposed to be posted as $1.30.

Good Morning
You can claim at least that
Are they prepared to give you the money for that?

I will have to contact them again.

at the present time. They are refunding the bet and not a penny more.

Good Morning
Tell them that the may have made a mistake and as the odds should have ben lower they should pay you out at the lower odds.
They can amend the amount as poet the T & C but to refuse to pay out all together is a breach.
This is the line you should take
Good luck
If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Regards